Thursday, May 13, 2010

It all started...

When I was a kid growing up in the 70s, beauty was something that stood out in my house.

We can all remember playing in our Mom's makeup drawer, right? I must have really made an impression because at the ripe old age of 12, my Mom bought me my first makeup kit. I will never forget it. It was from Senna. It came with a lip gloss in Platinum Rose. The gloss was in a pot with a mirror. She got me a lip brush to go with it and I thought I was so sophisticated. There was a baby pink blush and a shimmery pink eyeshadow in the kit. It all came neatly packed in a clear zippered bag. Wow, was I lucky.

I can still smell my Mom's Oscar de la Renta that she wore on special occasions. I see her bottle of Chloe sitting on her dresser. I will never forget the Jean Nate that she splashed all over herself after her nighttime bath, before going to bed. I can faintly remember a fragrance making set I received as a gift one year. It smelled generic and child like, which was perfect for me at the time. What did I know? My first real scent was Heaven Sent by Helena Rubinstein. My big brother bought it for me. I remember thinking, he must think I'm all grown up! Love's Baby Soft was added to the repertoire. Anais Anais quickly became a favorite of mine as a young teenager. Of course, as the years went on, my nose became more sophisticated.

I have been getting manicures since I was 9. We had a big family event to go to, and I was treated to my very first manicure. I see children now at the age of 2 getting their fingers and toes painted in nail salons. For me? In 1980, it was a real treat.

and so it begins... The obsession with finding the perfect lip gloss. The irrational decision to buy yet another lip balm. The addiction to body scrub. The all knowing craving for the latest niche scents. The excitement when a new Essie nail polish comes out that I am convinced is slightly different than my go-to color Sugar Daddy. and so it begins...

DISCLAIMER: This blog is about cosmetics and beauty products. This entry contains my own thoughts and opinions, they are not influenced by anyone or any company. It is not intended to endorse any particular products or services, but is intended to share information that I have found useful. It is not a vehicle for communicating the positions of any company, organization or individual other than myself.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment